Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:17:34 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, shige@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zsh re-org.

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 01:50:06AM -0800, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> I'd like to see 3.0.7 (actually I use 3.0.5) stick around, as it
> does one thing for me that I care about that I can't figure out how
> to do with 3.1.x; it makes it possible for me to keep the user's
> history when I switch to root.  It might take me quite a while to
> figure out how to do this in later versions if it's possible at
> all.  So, a vote for 3.0.x, and for stability (I depend on this
> shell) if it's in question.

Well, since I have no time to fight this uphill battle I'm going to just
make one post to summarize.

(1) Just because the author(s) label something beta doesn't mean it's
unstable. Take NFS differences in -CURRENT and -STABLE. I'd prefer the former.

(2) If you're going to be a MAINTAINER and hide behind that you need to respond
to PRs and e-mails from people instead of just silently ignoring them until
someone decides to re-org something.

(3) I (and many others...) have used the zsh-devel as our primary shell for a
Real Long Time without any problems.

If people are going to bitch so loudly, I'd suggest we repo-copy
zsh -> zsh-stable and take what is in zsh-devel and put it into zsh.

The NO_LATEST_LINK should stay with zsh-stable.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect
Computer Horizons Corp - CVM