Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:07:54 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB mouse oddity

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:39:52PM -0500, John Bleichert wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I used the instructions at this page to get a USBmouse working on an IBM
> PC:
>
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/usb-mouse.php
>
> But they aren't working for me on my VIA-based PC:
>
> johnnyb:~ > dmesg | grep -i usb
> uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xd000-0xd01f irq 5 at device 4.3
> on pci0
> usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
>
> Whatever I do, I can't get the system to see /dev/ums0 - I MAKEDEV'd it
> and it's in /dev.
>
> Anybody have any pointers on how I can debug this? The only other USB
> device I have to test with is a joystick... Also, the same mouse works
> great in the USB port on the IBM PC.

Hi John,

Are you absolutely sure you have the ums device loaded on the VIA machine
(either statically compiled into your kernel or loading the module in
/boot/loader.conf)?  It might also be worth running usbd in verbose mode
(/usr/sbin/usbd -d -v) and unplugging/replugging the mouse to see what, if
anything, is being recognised.

Having to preload ums threw me for a while -- I had naively assumed that
usbd would load it for me when it saw something that claimed to be a mouse,
but apparently it doesn't work that way :-(

Apologies if you've already tried these steps... it's all I can think of
that might help you.

	Scott