Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:43:09 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Style Challenge!

On Wed 1999-10-06 (16:39), Narvi wrote:
> > . Two spaces after '.'
> >

> No!!!! I can't see why you should even think about this.

It's much more readable in my opinion, and it does seem to be the way
things are being done currently.

> > . Always close inline tags on the same line as its contents - ie, never:
> >
> > <para>foo foo blah blah blah
> >   </para>
> >

> What if they are multiline? What if the other enclosing tags that end
> before the </para> don't fit on a single line?

What I mean is, on the same line as the last line of its contents:

Not:

<para>foo foo
  bah bah bah
  baz baz baz
  </para>

But:

<para>foo foo
  bah bah bah
  bah bah
  bah</para>

(assuming the column break is at the obvious point)

> > (oh, and does it matter about combining whitespace/markup/content
> > changes in the articles at this point, without any translations?)
>
> The translator will really hate any pure formatting style changes.

There are no translations, to my knowledge, that correspond to the
English articles, as opposed to the books (handbook, faq, &c.).

I'm wondering if we're going to be pedantic about it at the moment
(considering the sheer magnitude of the changes), or if I'll get
away with it this time on a warning *grin*.

(Basically, I have all the articles done, and I'd like to know
whether the assumptions I've made above are acceptable, and if they
are, about making them the style for such things in the future.

I especially want to know if getting the style above to DTRT in
Emacs is possible, since I'd rather use a style that's easy to use
in both vim and Emacs.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner