Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:46:04 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drewt@writeme.com>, "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Locked Out - How Might I Get In?

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 13:10, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I posted the message at the bottom but did not get an answer yet so I
> attempted to continue on my own.  After unsuccessful attempts to compile
> the part I need, I tried an upgrade from /stand/sysinstall.  My plan was to
> get a working system and then cvsup and recompile.
>
> I'm doing this remotely and in the process of the upgrade, I lost my
> connection.  The last I saw, the upgrade was doing the ports collection.
>
> I can connect to the machine now and get a login prompt but none of my
> previous accounts seem to exist.  Is there a default account (root?) that I

Root will have an account, but the password is unpredicable.  It might be
NULL, but usually remote logins are disabled for root anyway.

> can use to login?  What is the password?  I can connect using either telnet
> or ssh.

To recover from disasters like this, you really need physical access to the
machine; then you can reboot in single-user machine and fix things up.

On any machine with properly configured security, you are SOL.  (If you can
break in without knowing any working userids and passwords, so can anybody
else, so if things are set up properly you're out of luck.)

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                 http://www.programming-freedom.org