Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:36:53 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@frozenfeelings.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with the ports collection

I wrote a message similar to this one yesterday and I did not get an answer.
Most likely I didn't explain the problem enough for somebody to be able to help
me. Sorry. Here's the problem again, this time the question is more *general*.

Well, having known only Linux before I'm kind of amazed how the FreeBSD Ports
collection works. I really like it, as I like the FreeBSD system in General.

Now, one thing I don't seem to get working even after having read the FreeBSD
handbook is the following:

It says that in order to get updated ports runing on my system that were not
available when my version of FreeBSD was released (I have 3.4-RELEASE) I need
to download and install the appropriate upgrade kit. I did that, although I
don't have much of a clue what that was good for...

Now, I try the following, just as the FreeBSD handbook tells me.

cd /usr/ports/math
rm -r siag # Delete the old version of the SIAG-port dir
ftp ftp7.de.freebsd.de # I connect to the server and login to it
cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/math
get siag.tar # Getting the siag dir in tared form
bye # saying good-bye to the ftp-server
tar xf siag.tar # untar the downloaded siag dir into my /usr/ports/math dir
cd siag
make

Ok, now the system should go and fetch the appropriate file. But it doesn't. It
says something like that:

tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system
Attempting to fetch from ftp7.de.freebsd.org

Ok, it does now try to fetch a file called .tar.gz.  This cannot be successful
(and it is not) since it cannot get a .tar.gz file without a name.

Having inspected the Makefiles of the ports dirs that came with my sytsem, I
see that in these files there is a line that goes DISTNAME=something which is
not present in the Makefile of the port dirs I fetch from the FTP-server.

So, what's wrong? Won't I be able to get and use the ports from the FTP-server
on my 3.4-RELEASE system without some prior updates of my system? If so, please
tell me what I gotta do!

Thanks in advance,
Nils