Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 17:14:57 +0100
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about ccd and disk failure

A recent discussion in -current regarding a failing wd0 disk
makes me think about something:

I have at least two machines (one of them a dedicated dialup box)
that use ccd and mirroring (ccd 0x04) on two smallish junk harddisks
(i.e.: I'll probably make a floppy out of it one day :-)

My thought was: to hell with backups on this box, all the conf.
files fit on a floppy, an and if I want to be up quick if/when
one of the disks dies, I just remove the bad one, adjust
ccd parameters (I've already tried this: using ccd for 'mirroring'
on only one of the two remaining disks works great) and reboot.

Now my idea is: how tolerant can we be if one of the two
disks goes toast ?  Meaning, how difficult (implications,
125-gotchas list, etc...) would it be to have ccd just
stop writing to a disk after so many errors, and try to failover
to the other one only ?

Of course we have a problem with / :-(

[not subscribed to -hackers]

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
  "Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead IN and