Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:57:27 -0500
From:      Norm Vilmer <norm@etherealconsulting.com>
To:        Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw console messages

Subhro wrote:
> Could we have a look at the syslof configuration file?
>
> Regards
> S.
>

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:09:40 -0500, Norm Vilmer
> <norm@etherealconsulting.com> wrote:
>

>>Norm Vilmer wrote:
>>

>>>I have been running a IPFW firewall on FreeBSD 4.10 for a few weeks
>>>now. For some reason a few connection attempts are showing up on the
>>>console rather than going to the log file. I can't seem to figure out
>>>why. Any ideas?
>>>
>>>I have tried adding the 'log' key word to every deny statement in my
>>>IPFW firewall config file. For the most part all denied packets are
>>>logged to /var/log/ipfw.log. But about 3-12 per night are not. These
>>>also show up in the security run output email as kernel log messages.

>>More info: my kernel is compiled with these option:
>>
>>option  TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
>>option  ICMP_BANDLIM
>>option  IPFIREWALL
>>option  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
>>option  IPDIVERT
>>option  RANDOM_IP_ID

I dont think it is a login problem. I made only one change to the
syslog.conf file, I added

!ipfw
*.*				/var/log/ipfw.log

Ok, I did an experiment. I added
${cmd} add 10 pass TCP from any to ${oif}

where oif is my outside/public ip.

Then I attempted an FTP connection to my public ip from
another machine.

This popped up on the console.

Connection attempt to TCP <my public ip>:21 from <my other machine>:3079
flags:0x02

Now I get it <light bulb glowing above my head>, the message on the
console are connection attempts that get through the firewall but no
service is running on the port.

need to look at my rules