Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 05:26:31 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have crashed, won't travel

It's rare (but still possible) for modern Unix systems to suffer
a lot of damage, even in the face of power failures.  A normal
consequence of a power failure will be a few minor problems that
fsck can quite safely correct.  If the system is doing heavy
disk activity at the instant of the power failure, there might
be a bit more damage, although I've never seen more than 20
files end up in lost+found directories in twenty years with Unix
systems.

For this reason, I never bothered with a UPS for my home Unix
system(s) because my time to recover was typically of the order
of ten minutes and power failures happened about once every 18
to 24 months where I lived.  But when I moved to my present
location (a bit over 3 years ago), I found that I could no
longer get any work done because the power here goes out for a
second or two four or five times a day.  Not all the computers
crashed on each power failure, but it was no way to get any work
done.  So I installed some UPSes and I've had no dramas -- until
yesterday.

We had a sudden storm.  A nearby electricity sub-station
exploded spectacularly; the power surged high, the UPSes clipped
it; it went off, the UPSes went to battery; I ran around the
house shutting windows to keep out the torrential rain and wind;
the power came back, went off, came back, went off, came back at
around 90 volts (we run 240 nominal here) and stayed there for
an hour.  The it went off and returned normally and I went to
check my computers.

I don't know if the shenanigans with the power confused the
UPSes into giving dodgy output to the monitoring software or if
there is a bug in the software, but the usual shutdowns that
should have been run when the power had been off for 3 minutes
did not run on two of the three UPSes, so the five machines
attached to them all had the power yanked without warning.  I
was a bit apprehensive, since those machines were active at the
time and between them had about 830,000 files -- plenty of scope
for wasting time.

I brought each machine up by hand, ran fsck -n manually, studied
the output, and was delighted to see that there was nothing to
be fixed of any significance.  BTW, those five machines all run
FreeBSD-2.2.8-Release.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to simulate the storm so
I can see if there is a bug in the UPS monitoring software or if
it's a problem with the UPSes :-)

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>