Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 03:36:36 -0500
From:      Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
To:        "ebonytears@uk2.net" <ebonytears@uk2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 at 18:12:15 -0800, ebonytears@uk2.net wrote:
> I want to run a FreeBSD box, I'm 16, so money looks grim.  I want to
> run Gnome on it (I've run gnome under linux, and I loved it).

It's in the ports collection.

> Exactly how extensive is linux app support under freebsd?

Well, it depends on what you mean.  Many people are under the assumption
that stuff like GNOME, KDE, etc., are Linux-specific.  They're not.
They compile and run on FreeBSD just as they do on Linux.  See
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ for the list of what's in the ports tree.

If you're talking about the Linux binary compatibility stuff (used to
run StarOffice, WordPerfect, Linux Netscape, RealPlayer, etc. -- i.e.,
things that are only distributed as Linux binaries without source), I
haven't had any problems running any of the Linux binaries I've tried.

> And also, I want it to run pretty fast, would you say that a celeron
> 667 or 700 would do the job nicely?

That would probably be overkill, but yeah, it'd work.

> And also, about how much memory?  32 or 64 to start off?

You'll probably want 64MB if you're planning on running GNOME, since
it's a resource hog :-)

> Also, with the source code, does that include the bootloader source
> and all?

Yeah, /usr/src/sys/boot.

> Oh yeah, one last question..  how easy is it to upgrade one version to
> the next?

Very.

> and how would I go about this process in the future?

Read "The Cutting Edge" chapter of the handbook at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html, specifically, the
"Using make world" section.  There's also some stuff at the FreeBSD
Diary that explains the process you'll need to go through.  See
http://www.freebsddiary.org/topics.php3#cvsup and also
http://www.freebsddiary.org/topics.php3#upgrade.

Good luck,

- jim