Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:36:02 +0200
From:      joris dedieu <joris.dedieu@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD KVM port

2011/6/30 K. Macy <kmacy@freebsd.org>:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Prateek Sharma <prateek3.14@gmail.com> w=
rote:
>> Thanks for informing about BHyve.
>>
>> But KVM is feature-complete, and has been around for a long time as
>> well. Also supports a large number of guests etc.

vmware and xen are around for a long time. KVM is the new one in
production context.

> And is GPL and dependent on Linux APIs. Any KVM port will
> intrinsically be dependent on shimming to Linux APIs with all the
> problems that that potentially entails.

IMHO gpl  is not the main problem.  KVM is a linux kernel module that
manage virtual contexts.
It works with an io hypervisor (virtio) and and hardware emulator
(qemu). So porting
KVM to FreeBSD has no sense. The need is a tool to manage hardware contexts=
.
This tool is  BHyve, I think.

Let's have a look at what we currently get.
- Qemu is working but does not support vt.
- VirtualBox just works and support vt
- Jails are becoming real containers
- NetApp is working on a new hypervisor
- A virtio driver should be soon available
- Xen is supported has a domU
- a set of useful features like cpuset, vnet, zfs, hast, rctl, geom
are now available

So what is missing ? Maybe an unified manager ala libvirt ? Some fs
improvement like
distribution, iscsi ? A bsd style cluster manager ? A lot of things
are missing most of them are
configuration  tools or stabilization, finalization of existing
projects. But not an other
hypervisor, I think.

Cheers
Joris