Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:27:26 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <qa@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sis735 & 4.4 (was New cdboot ISO available)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Kent Stewart wrote:

> >>I have a ECS K7S5A that booted but sysinstall was completely hung. I
> >>had to hit the reset button to reboot.
> >>

> > Hmmm, that is weird.  I assume it doesn't hang with the normal ISO image?
>
> It boots the 4.4-release that was part of the 4-cd set just fine. This
> K7S5a has a DVD player on it for the CDROM. I tried the 4.5-iso on one
> of my other computers and it ran just fine. I have to go out but when
> I get back I have two other SiS-735 based computers that are being
> upgraded so they have W Paul's SiS-900 network update added. They all
> have CDROM players on them. I will try them when I reboot after
> installing the results of my latest cvsup.

Hmmm, my K7S5A doesn't like 4.4 - it boots the install CD and installs,
but then won't boot off the HD (IDE).  4.2 installed and boots off the HD
just fine :-|.  I don't have a copy of the failure report, but from memory
it died just after starting the daemons, and reported a signal 12.

I had trouble with the 4.5RC1 miniboot cd on the K7S5A too, but I think I
got a bad download as I couldn't boot it on my Abit BP6 box (which someone
else reported as working), or mount the ISO image via vn on it (the BP6,
which is currently running 4.2R) - "cd9660: illegal argument" or some
such.

Apologies for the lack of real information in this followup - I hadn't
followed through on this earlier because the K7S5A box normally runs OS/2
so getting 4.4 installed on it wasn't high priority.

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia