Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 10:58:51 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Martin Hinner <mhi@linux.gyarab.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contribution

> a) I am maintainer/author of Filesystems-HOWTO. It's a document describing
> dozens of filesystems and accessing them from various OSes. I think it would
> be very useful to have this HOWTO in FreeBSD. What do you think? For more
> information see http://www.penguin.cz/~mhi/fs/. Should I make a port for you?

Either a port or putting it into SGML form would be good.  If it were
SGML, we could integrate it into our tutorial section for online
publication.

> b) I'd like to write in my HOWTO also about filesystems in FreeBSD. Can you
> help me? Any documents, links and other information are *very* welcome. I'd
> like to ask also BSD FFS developers.

You may wish to start here:  http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/docproj.html

And also ask on doc@freebsd.org rather than -questions if you have doc
specific questions or comments; the -questions mailing list is rather
too general a list for this kind of discussion.

> c) Few months ago I wrote BFS (UnixWare boot filesystem) Linux kernel
> implementation. Because <tigran@sco.com> implemented better (read-write)
> version of it, my version is obsolete. If you want to port this code to
> FreeBSD, I can re-release it under BSD license. There is small problem - I've
> never developer anything to FreeBSD kernel.

I think the people in -hackers would be quite interested to hear about
this and possibly participate.  Again, most of them don't read -questions
though; too high volume! :)

> d) I installed FreeBSD on extended partition using GRUB bootmanager (see GNU
> homepage). Are you interested?

We've been playing with GRUB for awhile, though if you have any new data
to share concerning it, I'm sure there's interest also in -hackers.

Thanks!

- Jordan