Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:15:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@juniper.net>
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isdisk() kludge in kernel

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Paul Traina wrote:

> I was looking at isdisk and wanted to hurl chunks.

If DEVFS becomes accepeted then this all changes, as all disk accesses go
through the same driver no matter what physical device type.  Thedisk type
interface is abstracted to a common module which handles such things as
acceses, partitionning, open semantics, and IO remapping, on behalf of the
lower level drivers, which know how to do nothing except read and write
blocks.

> This is used by spec_open to determine if we should be allowed to open a
> disk device when securelevel >= 1.
>
> I'd like to propose changing spec_open to simply NEVER allowing the open of
> a block device, or character device, if a character device has a block
> device associated with it and eliminate isdisk() in kern_conf entirely.
>
> Objections?  (p.s. I found this in 2.2.5, haven't checked 3.0 yet to see if
> it was fixed, if it was, sorry for bothering you).

Some things have changed but bigger changes are on the horizon.