Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:32:17 -0800
From:      Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Code Complete by McConnell - comments?

hi

jm> Is this a worthy addition to any programmer's library, or is it too MS
jm> biased?  Are any or most of the guidelines applicable to BSD source
jm> code, or is BSD a bit of a relic style-wise?

In general, I like his books a lot.  While he uses examples from
acting as a consultant to Microsoft, I wouldn't say that it is
Microsoft centric.

I'd say Code Complete is a worthy addition, in so far as it has actual
data to back up common questions that come up such as "how long should
function names be?" or "how much commenting is enough commenting?". He
cites  studies,  which  I find useful compared with similar books I've
seen  which  seem  to usually be "some guy's thoughts on software." It
gives   broad   recommendations,   and  will  probably  be  useful  in
challenging some bad habits you might have acquired over the years.

As  for  the code, the examples are in C, Pascal and Basic (not visual
basic,  but BASIC). I can't comment if it's useful for BSD source code
(i haven't dabbled in those potent potions yets), but it's useful.

I'd also strongly recommend his other books, perhaps even more than
Code Complete.  The Software Project Survival Guide is short, and
gives some simple basics about project management and software
development.  It's easy to say "I'm a coder, I don't need that crap",
but it's really worth reading.  If you've ever worked on a project
that's been horribly buggy, excessively late, or flat-out cancelled
months after deadline, you might stand to learn something.

Try before you buy:  he has excerpts on his website.

http://www.construx.com/stevemcc/  (requires frames support)

brian

--
Got work?                      http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/