Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:51:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        aunty@comcen.com.au (aunty)
Cc:        mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Mark Ovens), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating ports

aunty wrote,
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 06:50:49PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 05:19:06AM +1100, aunty wrote:
> > > I have been told that I am not updating my ports correctly, even though
> > > they seemed to be updating, and that all will be magically revealed if I
> > > read the handbook. I read the handbook for the fifth time, and got no
> > > magic other than convincing myself that I am indeed doing the right
> > > thing. Clearly I'm not a good judge of my own correctness :-)
> > >
> > > Could someone please tell me whether there's something wrong with this
> > > supfile?
> > >
> > > *default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> > > *default base=/usr
> > > *default prefix=/usr
> > > *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
> > > *default delete use-rel-suffix
> > > *default compress
> > > ports-all tag=.
> > >

> > Apart from the redundant tag=RELENG_3 it looks fine. What exactly is
> > not being updated properly?
>
> Thanks. I see new ports that I didn't have before, and I see old ports
> with new dates and version numbers, but I can't find openssh or OpenSSH
> or open-ssh in /usr/ports/security nor in /usr/ports/INDEX, and when I
> look via the web site I see a port tarball for it but the "source" is
> just a list of checksums. Others seem to be getting openssh
> automagically and I feel a bit left out :-)
>
> A most learned gentleman assured me that the reason was that I was
> doing my ports wrong because I couldn't have read the handbook, so I
> thought I'd better ask for help when another re-reading took me down
> the same path.
>
> Now I'm back where I started. Does everyone else's ports tree have
> openssh in it?

Yes. Everyone except you. We all have it and you
don't. Na-nah-nanny-nah-nah.

But seriously, it should find its way to,

   /usr/ports/security/openssh

Here's what to do to make _sure_ you get that pesky OpenSSH port,

   # cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile .
   # sed -e 's/^ports-all/#ports-all/' -e 's/^#ports-security/ports-security/' ports-supfile > security-supfile
   # cvsup -g -L 2 security-supfile | tee cvsup.log

If that fails, send us the cvsup.log file that is being written in the
last step. Something really strange is going on.