Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 20:23:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        dugger@metapath.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printing with a Deskjet

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>I've got a Deskjet 680 that I'm using with my FreeBSD 2.1R system. I've
>got the ps stuff piped though gs. Work great, expect one small problem,
>when I try to print man pages the last line is missing. Has anyone seen
>this before or have an idea what's wroug. I also have a Deskjet Plue (old)
>and it has the same problem. I know you can specify lines on the page that
>the printer won't print. Is there a way to tell gs that the page is
>smaller or is there config stuff somewhere that controls this.

I have had success in munging the source code to gs to tell it to
believe the printer has certain margins (look at the source code
files--I think there's one called *djet.c or something like that), but
one possible fundamental problem is that the margins on most deskjets
are not symmetrical.  If I remember correctly, the margins on my
deskjet 600 are:

	.0167" top (this is the weird one--I don't remember exactly,
		but it's the smallest of the margins)
	.125"  left/right (1/8th of an inch, or is it .25" ?)
	.5"    bottom (by far the largest)

This means, for example, that printing postscript with a .25" bottom
margin will get your last line or so lopped off.

There are more "sinister" problems that this could mean.  I suggest
getting the ghostscript port (not package) and fiddling with that--the
most recent version comes with nice alignment pages that can help you
figure out what the printable area of your printer is, and if it's
aligned.

Also check out the ghostscript pages on the web if you can:
	http://ghostscript.cs.wisc.edu/ , if i remember right.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/