Date:      13 Dec 2002 12:08:52 +0000
From:      David Gethings <davidg@pipex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fdisk and HD's larger than 2GB

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the version of fdisk supplied with FreeBSD
4.6.2 (and I'm seeing the same problem on 4.7 too). fdisk always
defaults to 256/255/63 for the C/H/S values of my disk, however this is
not the correct values.

After searching through the FAQ's and handbook I found some info about
fdisk getting these values from the BIOS and how to switch this off. So
I checked the BIOS. It reports the correct disk geometry so I know it is
not that.

So I went back to fdisk and changed the geometry, which worked OK. I
then tried to create a partion that used the whole disk. As soon as I
did that fdisk reverted to the orginal (and incorrect) geometry and only
created a partion of 2GB rather than 20GB.

I'm sure there is an FAQ, or someother doc that details how to get round
this problem. However if there is one I cannot find it.

If anyone has any info on what I can do so that fdisk will create a
partion that uses all of the disk could you please let me know as the
currently documented way doesn't work for me.

If I can't get this to work I'm going to have to use Linux as I know
this works. :(

Regards

Dg