Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:52:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

[ More 'religious' discussion, delete if not interested ]

> > > BTW: it's not the people who talk to God you have to worry about, it's
> > > the people who claim God talks to them, and that somehow ennobles their
> > > position in any discussion.
> >
> > And what would you say if I said God talked to me, Terry?  Would you
> > blow me off and claim I was stupid or silly?  I claim that people who
> > area always right no matter what are much more obnoxious to talk to than
> > people who 'hear from God'. :)
>
> I would be skeptical unless you could repeat your performance in a
> laboratory.

Ok, but what if what God told me wasn't fortelling the future, but was
instead based on something that is impossible to 'measure'
scientifically.  (Example, it was information on another person that
tells me something about them that I wouldn't normally be able discern
without having a conversation about that person, and that it only
happened some of the time, based on the needs of the person.)

Not everything you believe in must be scientifically provable.  Heck,
most things normal people 'believe in' are taken for granted anyway,
such as

> The people who say "...and then I'd still be skeptical"
> are athiests, and have just as closed a mind as those who claim
> existance based on faith.

Ahh, so people who have faith in something unknown or unseen have a
closed mind.  Glad you think so, since faith is applicable to many
things outside of religion, and therefore if you have faith in them, you
must have a closed mind.

[ Apologies to any Indian people on the list ]

Terry, have you ever been to India?  It must not exist, since you've
never seen it, nor even been anywhere near it.  See, all of the 'Indian'
people that you know are making it all up as a cruel hoax against you
and laughing behind your back, and really don't live in another country,
but instead all come from a small corner of South America.  They produce
all of the pictures and materials just to complete the facade, and
they're doing a pretty good job of it.

What, you don't believe me?  Well, obviously you must have 'faith' that
this country exists first, or that your 'faith' in the people who have
convinced you that India exists is greater than the 'faith' you have in
me that it doesn't exist.  You have 'Faith' based on someone else's
experiene that India exists, and a lack of faith in me.

Belief in something outside *YOUR* experiences is faith, so basically
you have no faith in 'spiritual' people that a God or gods could exist
that directly/indirectly affect your life and existance.  So, the *real*
question is what caused this lack of faith in people who claim to know
and/or hear from God?

> If you weren't predictive, I might claim you were schitzophernic until
> you became predictive... any factually based model is predictive.

Hearing from God != foretelling the future.

Nate