Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:48:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      device timeout <nmblookup@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RZ1000 IDE controller problems

hi,

I've been using freebsd for a while and I've had no
problems
right until 4.6-RELEASE, when after the installation,
the machine
wouldn't boot, because the ata driver could not attach
my RZ1000
IDE controller.

To be exact, it would detect ata1 (second IDE channel)
as ata0
and try to boot off the CD-ROM drive attached there as
master.
What I did then was switch the cables around, so that
my two hard
drives are attached to ata1 (ata0, as detected by
freebsd) and
it would boot fine. Also, when booting off the
kern.flp floppy,
the ata driver attaches fine, finding every drive I
have.

After a while (and a lot of kernel recompiling) I
switched to
the wd driver, which I use now.

Now, I'm trying to upgrade to 5.0R, but the wd is not
present there.

So my questions are: did anyone experience the same
problems?
Also, is there any way I could obtain the kernel
configuration file
for the boot floppy (kern.flp)?

Here are some of the messages I get when trying to
boot 5.0-RELEASE:
  atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported
  atapci0: Busmastering DMA disabled
  ata2: at 0x1f0 on atapci0     (I have only one
2-channel IDE controller)
  device_probe_and_attach: ata2 attach returned 6
  ata1 at port 0x376,0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa0
  acd0: failure to execute ATAPI packet command
  acd0: CDROM <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:273> at ata1-master
BIOSPIO
after this, I get the prompt to input the root device
manually.

any ideas?

ps: for direct replies, please write to
maznio@krypton.wox.org