Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:23:52 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Wait for carrier in /etc/rc.d/defaultroute

On 9/24/2010 5:04 PM, Ed Maste wrote:
> /etc/rc.d/defaultroute currently bails immediately if all interfaces
> set to use DHCP have no carrier.  This caused grief at work as it takes
> some time for link to be established, and defaultroute ran before this
> happened.  The rest of rc.d/ ran then before DHCP could assign an
> address and route.
>
> The attached patch introduces a defaultroute_carrier_delay variable
> and a change to /etc/rc.d/defaultroute to wait that long before bailing
> out if there are no interfaces with carrier.  With the default settings
> defaultroute will wait for five seconds to see if any interface gets
> carrier.  The original 30 second wait for a default route to appear is
> unchanged.
>
> Any comments?  I'll commit it sometime next week if there's no concern.

There was a more generic solution floating around fairly recently, from
Jeremy Chadwick. The thread on this list starts back in april, but the
latest version of the script appeared in june, so you might want to
start there. I used versions of that script for most of this calendar
year, and offered to commit it if the rc.conf.5 update was written.

Jeremy, if you've done that bit and I lost track, apologies, my FreeBSD
time has been super limited lately, but it's on the upswing at the
moment, so maybe you could update us?

Doug

			-- Propellerheads