Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2018 07:28:34 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Patrick Crilly <pcrilly@goodgas.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of FreeBSD CAM/MMC/SDIO?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 11:33 PM, Patrick Crilly <pcrilly@goodgas.com.au>
wrote:

> On 24-Jun-18 3:00 PM, Russell Haley wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Patrick Crilly <pcrilly@goodgas.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone knew what the current state of CAM/MMC/SDIO
>> driver for Raspberry Pi is?
>>
>> I followed this link https://wiki.freebsd.org/SDIO and checked out
>> FreeBSD current.
>> I build a kernel using the GENERIC-MMCCAM conf file.
>>
>> dmesg produced the following regarding SDIO -
>>
>> (mmcprobe0:sdhci_slot0:0:0:0): Probe PROBE_SEND_IF_COND to
>>> PROBE_SDIO_RESET
>>> (mmcprobe0:sdhci_slot0:0:0:0): Start with PROBE_SDIO_RESET
>>> (mmcprobe0:sdhci_slot0:0:0:0): SDIO_RESET: error 1, CCCR CTL register:
>>> 00000000
>>> (mmcprobe0:sdhci_slot0:0:0:0): Probe PROBE_SDIO_RESET to PROBE_SDIO_INIT
>>> (mmcprobe0:sdhci_slot0:0:0:0): Start with PROBE_SDIO_INIT
>>> (mmcprobe0:sdhci_slot0:0:0:0): SDIO_INIT: error 1, 00000000 00000000
>>> 00000000 00000000
>>> (mmcprobe0:sdhci_slot0:0:0:0): Probe PROBE_SDIO_INIT to
>>> PROBE_SEND_APP_OP_COND
>>>
>> Just an uneducated guess: the zeros may indicate a missing dts file
> entry, or some other error in the Flattened Device Tree?
>

> I'd be interested to know the revision you're using
>

> I downloaded this snapshot build for Raspberry Pi 3 -
> FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20180605-r334665.img.xz and
> loaded it onto a SD card.
>
> I then built the kernel using the source from current and the GENERIC_MMC
> conf file. I built the kernel natively, since I didn't have a cross build
> machine setup.
>
> I did just notice there's some updated snapshot builds, so will give them
> a try.
>
> I realise the SDIO drive is very much work in progress. Hoping someone
> might be able to say where things are at.

I can't speak to the details, and maybe Ilya will speak up,  but I know
development is active as Illya Bakulin made some commits recently.  Udit
Argawal is doing some performance testing on Beagle Bone Black and porting
SDIO it to RTEMS, but he was unable to build against CURRENT and is
building against Ilya's git branch. He was also getting exceptions early in
the boot process when building with head. However Udit's problem was with a
bad lock/mutex not the registers (hence my question about your revision).
Udit's blog is here: http://uditagarwal.in. He was about to test building
against head but was hung up waiting on me (hopefully I unblocked him
yesterday).

I was considering to set up a website to server out SDIO enabled kernels as
I've got a hearty server to play with. Perhaps I'll put a little effort
into that tonight. I can build kernels in about 5 minutes, compared to
your... week?

Hope that helps a little,
Russ