Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2013 17:02:26 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        iamatt <iamatt@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: IT security and pentesting tools on FreeBSD

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:08:59 -0600, iamatt wrote:
> Why reinvent the wheel.

I don't want to reinvent it, I just want another wheel. :-)

> Backtrack is pretty decent live image for basic
> pen testing.

Backtrack, Kali, and Knoppix STD are quite good for that purpose.
But as I said, I prefer BSD over Linux and would like to find
out if FreeBSD can be used for pentesting (or as a basis for
security testing and research) in the same way (or at least
for a subset of tasks).

> I guess you could see what ports exist on freebsd from the
> backtrack release but seems like a waste of time when you can just burn a
> USB drive and run it like that!

Ah, not a waste of time. I have already installed machines
which are Linux-based, so using _those_ is not a problem. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany