Date:      Mon, 3 May 2021 18:20:05 +0200
From:      Valery Seys <valery@vslash.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timezone problems on -current

On 03/05/2021 17:34, bob prohaska wrote:
> It seems that the timezone gets screwed up each time the OS is
> upgraded on a Pi4  via sources on -current. ntpdate is working, but the
> machine reports a local time of
> bob@nemesis:~ % date
> Mon May  3 15:27:04 PDT 2021
> while a Pi2 reports
> fbsd@www:~ % date
> Mon May  3 08:28:35 PDT 2021
>
> The timezone is PDT in both cases, but the time shown looks like
> UTC for the Pi4 but PDT for the Pi2.
>
> I've noticed this before and cured it for a while by running tzsetup.
> The problem seems to return each time the OS is upgraded, though I
> have not kept careful track of what's going on. Anybody else noticed
> this?
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

1. instead of using 'tzsetup', copy your
/usr/share/zoneinfo/<location>/localtime to /etc/localtime
2. then, see if the upgrade remove/overwrite it

It's weird 'date' report PDT in both case. Have you any 'TZ' var. set in your
environ ? Try unset it, then 'date' should show the UTC. In short, I think TZ
must be set accordingly to /etc/localtime in order to show something coherent.

My 2 cents,

p&l

v/