Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:36:47 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chmod of /dev/ulptN

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:33:12 -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> I exactly followed the directions here:
>
>   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-February/238118.html
>
> Nontheless, my /dev/lpt0 node still only has permissions set to 0644.

In the subject you've mentioned /dev/ulpt (USB LPT port), and
now /dev/lpt (conventional LPT port), still the same applies
for both.

> Why?

Because the content of /dev is dynamically generated and maintained
as a virtual file system. This service is controled by devfs (devices
created at startup time) and devd (devices dynamically created during
runtime), both with their respective configuration files devfs.conf
and devfs.rules, and devd.conf. Those files need to be adjusted. To
make the change become active, restart the service.

> What did I do wrong?

You did not use the current proper method. :-)

Make the change you need in /etc/devfs.conf, e. g.

	perm ulpt0 0664

if you need rw/rw/r. You can also use "own user:group" in
a similar way if you need to change file owner or group.
See "man devfs.conf" for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany