Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 10:52:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot problem: "ata0: resetting devices"

On Friday 30 May 2003 10:25 am, Rich Morin wrote:
> At 10:04 AM -0700 5/30/03, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >No, you didn't understand. The ATA cards appear like a scsi to the bios.
> >To boot from an add in ATA card, you have to choose scsi boot.
>
> I'll look into this.  However, I haven't seen any way to request this
> in the SETUP screens.  Anything I should look for?

No, idea. The older machines could all boot from scsi but my in memory boot
experience is only with P-II or IIIs and AMD Athlon's or better. These
systems have scsi as a defined boot parameter.

I had something like a KT7A that was part of the flawed Southbridge set and I
had it using an ATA addin card. The mobo eventually died. My systems
typically have one HD per controller. They have 2 hooked up to the mobo and 2
to an addin. My buildworld speeds vary as much as 50% or more depending on
the setup.

> >You lose a lot of speed. My new ATA cards are all UDMA-133. Dma transfers
> > are always faster. PIO is set at something like 16MB/s. You only get so
> > many milliseconds of time for a each transfer block and dma is always
> > faster.
>
> So, it's definitely worth pursuing.

My definition of speed is a concept based on how long it takes for the prompt
to return after I press the enter key. A fast HD helps. This would be
especially true if you were following something other than a release because
a buildworld can take place much faster. Installing from a UDMA rated CD-ROM
is also much faster but that is also another parameter that you have to add
to /boot/loader.conf.. BNW, the parameter name is the same as the depricated
sysctl variables but the value has to be quoted (").

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA