Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:01:52 -0400
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        eodyna <eodyna@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advice 64 bit architecture

eodyna wrote:

>hi everyone.
>
>i just want to know if anyone has had any major issues
>running freebsd on 64bit architecture.
>
>i am wanting to buy a asus a8v deluxe - 939 via k8t800
>pro motherboard with a amd athlon64 939 3500+ chip.
>
>If anyone has any experience, id love to listen to
>your do's and don'ts.
>
>thanks!!!
>ams
>
>Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
>http://au.movies.yahoo.com

I tried to put 5.3beta7 on my brothers and had 2 main problems.  The
wireless network card was not supported.  When I tried to use ndiscvt I
just got an error saying if_ndis.ko could not be loaded.  It is the
linksys wmp54gv4 pci card.  The issue that would get you is when I
compiled x, startx failed about not being able to init fonts.  I am sure
that could have been easily fixed, but for my brother the killer was
wireless.  Other than that it was smooth, be sure to read
/ports/UPDATING about lib changes.