Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 22:44:49 -0800
From:      stephen <schan_ca@geocities.com>
To:        John Sanders <moose@ebicom.net>
Cc:        dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com, Langa Kentane <evablunted@earthling.net>, linux-admin@vger.rutgers.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POS System

Hello John:

John Sanders wrote:

> Well, this system is pretty in depth...it does run on TCP/IP over a 10BaseT
> Ethernet LAN.
> The system uses IP's 129.103.2.1 - 129.103.2.254 (MFS1 = 129.103.2.1,
> MFS2 = 129.103.2.2,  LFS3 = 129.103.2.3, LFS10 = 129.103.2.10, POS1 =
> 129.103.2.11, POS254 = 129.103.2.254) with MFS1 being the Primary file
> server,
> MFS2 being the Backup file server, LFS3 - 10 being workstations
> (difference between workstations and servers in this system is, the
> workstations
> cannot do parameter maintenance).
> POS1-254 are registers 1 - 254

Well, talking to the POS, provided we have the custom protocol, is no problem
since FreeBSD/Unix is king of TCP/IP. 243 POS clients aren't much either, how
fast can the checkout girls scan? Are these smart POS terminals? As in, do
they add up everything themselves once the backend provides them with prices
for product codes? How about credit cards? Who talks to the bank, POS or
backend?

> The database system is something i've never seen anywhere outside this
> system,
> it is called "Quick-Dex" or "QDex" for short. Basically it consists of
> roughly 120 files,
> each performing its own little function, for example, "transact.qdx" is the
> transaction file,
> storing all sales, all signon/sign offs, order suspends/retrieves, etc. you
> have 3 or 4 PLU
> (UPC) files, that store of course, PLU information, and indexes. (The index
> files can rebuild
> all of its "children" files on a reboot & reload of the database into
> memory, if the file
> dosent match the index, it rebuilds them). Files that handle cashier
> accountability,
> POS accountability, departmental sales, etc. It's quite extensive.

This is were it gets complicated. It's not just an OS issue, but a backend
database, accounting and business model issue as well.

Best thing would be to release the specs and gather people for an open
source Client/Server POS/accounting system. Not impossible, but would
take coordination. If you have the specs, why not upload them on a web
page for everyone to inspect. It's the first step.

> I don't see anyone writing something from scratch at this point in the ISS
> 45's lifespan,
> as it will soon become outdated in its capabilities.
> Which is why i was wondering about a system being written previously to
> handle this. If you would like file layouts, that is not a problem.

The bottom layer should be universal for any POS, on top, we could write
intermediate layers to facilitate different POS terminals.