Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:33:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Cosmin Stroe <cosmin@hehipc.phy.uic.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless booting with codafs

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Cosmin Stroe wrote:

> Is there a codafs diskless booting option available for FreeBSD ..
> something similar to the NFS_ROOT option available currently in the
> kernel ?
>
> Is there even CODA fs builtin kernel support ?

Unlike many network file systems, Coda relies on a local disk cache, so
typically the approach taken is to boot to at least a minimal local file
system, then bring in everything else from over the network once Venus
(the user space cache manager) is started.  If you want to chroot()
somewhere in the process so that the perceived root is in /coda, it can be
done, but you might have to tweak the boot scripts and init some to make
it happen, as well as make sure you re-mount devfs.

Coda is currently in the base source tree, although I'm not sure it's been
tested much on 5.x.  Drop e-mail to shafeeq@FreeBSD.org to find out how
things are going, since I'm not sure he tracks the mailing lists much.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories