Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:25:49 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Bill Northlich <billn@onlive.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: booting question

Bill Northlich:
 |The manual says that the FreeBSD root file system must be within the
 |1st 504 mb. of the disk, else booting wont work (p. 27).  However,
 |could I put it out on the end of the disk and boot from floppy every
 |time?  Thanks,

Hi Bill.  If that's all the manual says, its wrong.  If you're running BIOS
LBA on that disk then there is no such limitation.  I boot way above the
1024th cylinder (around 504Mb without LBA) on both my disks.

If your not running LBA, I can't help with the booting-from-floppy
question.  Hope somebody can answer that for you.

Randall Hopper