Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 1997 23:47:35 +0100
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-current issues (build 97-06-28)

David Greenman writes:

>   Find VM_KMEM_SIZE in /sys/i386/include/vmparam.h and double it to 64MB. The
>next problem you'll encounter is running out of kernel virtual memory, but
>hopefully you'll get by for now.

Many thanks, that seems to be working now (at least, the machine hasn't
crashed in 6 hours or so, which is one hell of a lot better than
previously :)

And now, for another query.

With the current -current, pstat -T falls over as follows:

	aleste 101# pstat -T
	179/4136 files
	pstat: sysctl: KERN_VNODE: No such file or directory

with a little bit of tracking down, this would appear to be because
of the following code in sys/kern/vfs_subr.c, line 1858:

/*
 * XXX
 * Exporting the vnode list on large systems causes them to crash.
 * Exporting the vnode list on medium systems causes sysctl to coredump.
 */
#if 0
SYSCTL_PROC(_kern, KERN_VNODE, vnode, CTLTYPE_OPAQUE|CTLFLAG_RD,
        0, 0, sysctl_vnode, "S,vnode", "");
#endif

This isn't really a big problem for me, since I only use pstat -T
as a way of tracking swap file usage, and I can use swapinfo instead,
but I'm a little confused as to why something that *seemed* to work
flawlessy in 2.2.2-RELEASE has been commented out in 3.0-CURRENT.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet Ltd.