Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:46:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        Adam Furman <afurman@amf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1/4.0, the alpha, and a dog named blue...

> I want to know how stable is FreeBSD on the Alpha platform.  I have an
> AlphaStation 200 which I want to place FreeBSD on and get RID of RedHat
> Linux.  I'm not a linux fan and love the FreeBSD platform.

Adam,

I've not personally had experience with the AlphaStation 200, so I've
copied the list on your question.  I've got access to Multia's and a
Personal Workstation 533au.  YMMV, but aside from getting used to tracking
down 'converting pointer to integer of differing size' compiler warnings,
I've not noticed any real show stoppers in the last month.

My machines exhibit almost all of the stability and functionality of the
x86 releases.  I am currently running 4.0-19990206-SNAP on everything.  My
ideal setup would be to track -current on the Multia's and -stable on the
533au, using it as an internal samba/nfs/cvs/web server.  Things seem real
solid under testing, but I've been reluctant to put the 533au into
production.

Hope this helps somewhat.

- Bruce

Bruce M. Walter, Principal