Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 02:54:29 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "A"utodefaults in disklabel on 5.0dp2 install

Thus spake Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>:
> I'm installing dp2 on a 4-gig disk.  I want to split that in two,
> with "dos" for the first 2 gig and freebsd in the last 2 gig.  When
> I got to the disklabel step, I tried the "Auto Defaults" option to
> split up the freebsd partition.  It picked partition sizes of:
>
>     128 meg   - /
>    1231 meg   - swap space
>     208 meg   - /var
>     208 meg   - /tmp
>      83 meg   - /usr
>
> This is a machine with 768 meg of memory, but I think the install
> is more likely to work with a less swapspace and something more
> than 83 meg for /usr.  I know it's tricky to come up with an
> algorithm which will pick decent sizes for every combination of
> disk and memory sizes, but perhaps it should wire in some kind of
> minimum size for /usr.  Also, maybe something to the effect that
> neither /var nor /tmp should end up larger than /usr.

The algorithm could be made smarter.  On the other hand, it's
probably undesirable to make it so complicated that people can't
fit the rules into their heads.  One idea is to set up a set of
linear constraints and optimize for some simple function, though
even that might be overkill.  At the very least, it should know
when it can't find a feasible solution (``/usr can't be that
small!'') and give up.