Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 17:57:14 +0200
From:      Martin Laabs <info@martinlaabs.de>
To:        fake fake <four.troublesome.heads@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: library search path

Hello,

just a guess:

On 28.05.2012 16:11, fake fake wrote:

> To install tmux under $HOME/bin, I have installed libevent library
> under $HOME/lib (I do not have root privilege).
> Then set the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $HOME/lib in .cshrc.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH only affects the dynamic linker and its search path
when executing a program. You will need this when you execude tmux afterwards.

> But "./configure --prefix=$HOME" in src/tmux returns "configure:

With --prefix=... you tell the configure script where you wanna install the
files. Now you have to tell the gcc where to search for the
library/includes. So try to set CFLAGS="-I $HOME/include -L $HOME/lib"

Best regards,
  Martin Laabs