Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:48:49 -0600
From:      Noel Jones <noeldude@gmail.com>
To:        brianjohn@fusemail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to find files less than a day old?

> > > FreeBSD box that I am connected to.  I think it may be a Solaris 9 box.
> > > Is there any way to get this to work in Solaris?
> > >

> > Maybe the solaris find command supports the -newer option.  I think
> > -newer is more widely supported, and likely to be available on
> > Solaris.
> >
> > If necessary, you could then create a reference file using touch with
> > the proper time stamp on it.  You can do this automatically within a
> > script, using the date command to figure out the current time.  You
> > can calculate the time one hour ago by using a command something like
> > TZ={your timezone   1}  date
> >

> > --
> > Noel Jones
> >
> Is there a way that I could do this without using find?  I basically just
> need a listing of files to pipe to cat.  Is there any easier way to do
> this?  If there isn't, could you explain in more explicit email how to
> this?
>
> /Brian

Here's some commands that should be pretty portable.

touch `TZ=CST7CDT date "+%m%d%H%M"` /path/to/file
find . -newer /path/to/file -type f | xargs cat > tmp.txt

Adjust the value of TZ to give the proper time in your locale.  I'm in
Central Standard Time, which is normally expressed as CST6CDT, so I
added one to get "CST7CDT".  This creates a file stamped exactly one
hour ago that find can use as a reference.

An alternative would be to write something in perl or your programming
language of choice.

HTH...

--
Noel Jones