Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:30:22 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <johnsa@kpi.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to:Read directly from serial port to a file

Apologies for following up my own post.

2 additional things:
a) Please CC me (too many subscriptions already)
b) The command I've been trying is:
# cu -l /dev/cuaa2 -s 1200 > phonelog
#

but I get:
[1]  + Suspended (tty output)        cu -l /dev/cuaa2 -s 1200

I can do the cu -l ...... manually and then pipe the output using
~| cat - phonelog
from within cu, but I neeed to be able to start this from rc.d startup
script

---------- Original message below ---------------------------------------
Issue:

I've got a PC attached to a phone system which emits data about the phone
lines in use via a serial line at 1200 baud.

What I want is to plug the serial cable into the PC and dump the incoming
data directly to a file for later analysis by 3rd party software.

I have had this working in the past, but the box has been blown away and I
cannot seem to get it going again.

cu only seems to want to talk interactively.  The moment I background the
process it stops (tty output), even though I've directed stdout to a file.

All help appreciated.

System: 3.3-REL
Serial ports: 16550a's x 4
Nothing else is relevant - I've had this working before (maybe not with
cu?)

Thanks

--

aj