Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 03:24:57 +0900
From:      Taichu Tanaka <taichu@ihas.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux/alpha emulation available

Hello,

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:26:27 -0400 (EDT),
Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> Odd.  It works here:
> 	4.1-RC, UP1000, 600MHz 21264A
    I found the installation fault. I've brandelf'ed the
libots.so, but that caused the problem. Re-installing the
libots-2.2.7-2.alpha.rpm fixed my problem with Compaq C.

> Did you run the
> /compat/linux/usr/lib/compaq/ccc-6.2.9.002-2/alpha-linux/bin/create-comp-config.sh
> script?  If I install the rpm with -vvv, I noticed this script was
> generating error messages.   I ran it manually, using
> /compat/linux/bin/sh.  I'm not sure if this helped or not..

No, I haven't... and now I've run it.
Running that script seems to choose an appropriate ld.

>  >    I've checked the performance of the compiler. With my
>  > numerical simulation model, the executable with CCC runs
>  > about 40% faster than that with gcc-2.95.1.
>  > Naturally, the performance is as good as Compaq C with
>  > Linux/Alpha (that I used months ago).
>
> Cool!  I'm glad to hear it.

   Yes, without this compiler, I feel that Alpha 21164A is
merely as fast as (sometimes slower than) the Pentium-II/III or
AMD Athlon with the same clock level.

> I'll have to defer to somebody else for testing the fortran compiler.
> I disavow any knowledge of fortran ;-)

   The Fortran compiler seems another story.... now,
Fortran compiler stops like;

  % /compat/linux/usr/bin/fort -v bench.f
    /usr/lib/compaq/cfal/decfort90 -o /tmp/foreITPLn.o bench.f
    Fatal error in: /usr/lib/compaq/cfal/decfort90 - core dumped
    Signal 140

I don't know why. (Probably, this might be another
installation issue.)

> You're welcome.   I"m glad I could help!

Thank you again for your great job and quick help!

					    Taichu Tanaka

Cloud Physics and Chemistry Lab.,           Phone: +81-52-789-3484
IHAS., Nagoya University, Japan             FAX  : +81-52-789-3436
        -- Sherlock Holmes