Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:43:32 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008611012.3565c2@mired.org>
To:        <burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie questions

burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net types:
> I just completed my first cvsup - driven upgrade (to 4.4-STABLE from
> 4.3-RELEASE) and for the most part it proceeded beautifully. I'm coming
> from Debian GNU/Linux and so far FreeBSD is knockin' me out. Couple
> things, tho:
>
> 1) After the make buildworld, et al steps I ran mergemaster as the
> Handbook recommended. This process repeatedly  prompted me to make
> decisions re: whether to keep things as they were or to install
> new. Default was to keep things as they were and I chose this in every
> case because I wasn't exactly sure what the best choice *was*.
>
> Was this, er, a bad choice?

Generally, yes. Any file that you have not changed should be
updated. pam.conf is particularly problematical here, as it's
undergoing active development, and failing to update it may leave some
variable set so that you can't log in.

Any file that you *have* changed should be merged by hand. You want to
get *at least* the change in CVS tag on the file so you won't be asked
about it again. That also gives you a chance to examine the other
changes, and decide how to deal with them.

> 2) Dumb question but I searched on freebsd.org and couldn't find anything:
> after updating /usr/doc via cvsup, is there any *rebuilding* of man pages
> necessary? Do I need to make world in there, too?

The man pages are in /usr/src, not /usr/doc. They got updated when you
did "make installworld". /usr/doc is the handbook, faq, and similar
things.

> One of the reasons I'm asking -both- these questions is that I'm getting a
> few "Warnings" and "Stray cats" when I run tkman, and I'm just wondering
> whether this is traceable to either of these things ...

As I don't use tkman, I can't really help. It may be that it's
complaining about cat files that are out of date because you've
updated the man file. The system's man command updates the cat files
in that case.

	<mike