Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:14:18 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Native Java in FreeBSD when?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:29:56AM -0800, Craig Calef wrote:
> 	I was excited to hear the announcement of a native FreeBSD
> implementation of Sun's JVM.  This would finally let me get rid of Linux
> in situations where I need to deploy a Java based solution or have to
> worry about the quirks of running under Linux emu or rolling my own from
> source.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any news as to when this will be
> made available beyond the 'should be available in 4.5 Jan 2002' which
> doesn't appear to be the case.  Is Greg still actively developing this, I
> haven't seen any announcements of patches past November.  Any information
> you could provide me would be wonderful.

It's available right now:

    % java -version
    java version "1.3.1-p7"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-p7-root-021102-09:14)
    Classic VM (build 1.3.1-p7-root-021102-09:14, green threads, nojit)

However:

    i) Sun's licencing terms mean that the FreeBSD project can't
    redistribute a pre-compiled (pkg) version of the JDK.  That means
    you're going to have to download the source and build it yourself.

    ii) Sun's licensing terms mean that you can't just automatically
    pull down the source code from an FTP site or a web server: you
    have to jump through various hoops and click on various buttons to
    agree that you will abide by their terms when you download the
    sources.  The Makefile for the java/jdk13 port explains exactly
    what to do.

    iii) Similarly, you've got to click on various buttons in order to
    download a bundle of patches to make the source code compile on
    FreeBSD.

    iv) To compile the JDK, you need to have a JDK already installed.
    By default the jdk13 port will install one of the linux JDKs to
    get you going.  Once you've built and installed the native JDK you
    can uninstall the linux JDK and use NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP=yes in order
    to do further updates.

    v) Only jdk-1.3.1 is available as a native version yet.  Efforts
    to port jdk-1.4.x are under way: see the freebsd-java@ list if you
    would like more info.

I never did understand why the Linuxers could redistribute a
pre-compiled JDK, and the FreeBSD project can't.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way