Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:08:53 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        "Chris Moline" <chris@theboss.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Chris chomplained,

> Hi I have done something really stupid. I have for various reasons (it's a
> long story) deleted the spooling directory. I have tried to set it back up
> again from scratch but that didn't work-it still wants the old directory.
> Looking through the archives it doesn't look like anyone was as dumb as I
> was and so now I have to ask you what i can do to get it back up and
> running. What can I do? Thanks a lot.

do you have all of the owners and permissions right?  that counts :)

Here's mine:

hawkinsttyp0:hawk>ls -lsd /var/spool/*
1 drwxrwxr-x  2 uucp  dialer  512 Mar 20 16:26 /var/spool/lock
1 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  daemon  512 Mar 20 16:26 /var/spool/lpd
1 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  daemon  512 Jun 22 14:05 /var/spool/mqueue
1 drwxrwxr-x  2 news  news    512 Jun 21 10:31 /var/spool/news
1 drwx------  2 root  daemon  512 Mar 20 16:26 /var/spool/opielocks
1 drwxr-xr-x  3 root  daemon  512 Jun 21 18:33 /var/spool/output
1 drwxrwxr-x  7 uucp  uucp    512 Jun 20 09:03 /var/spool/uucp
1 drwxrwxrwx  2 uucp  uucp    512 Mar 20 16:26 /var/spool/uucppublic

hmm, and now that I think about it, for some reason it's in my mind
that on boot, those directories are created if they don't exist.  Take
that with a lot of salt, because I really have no idea where that idea
comes from . . .

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
Assistant Professor of Economics, Pennsylvania State University