Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:16:34 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The future of a.out support?

>It was my understanding that the kernel would continue to support
>a.out, and I think that's important.  If FreeBSD can support SCO,
>Linux, Solaris, BSDI, NetBSD and OpenBSD, it seems important that it
>should also contain support for FreeBSD, even old, obsolete versions.
>
>May I assume that this is the case, and that the comment applies only
>to what ``make world'' builds?  Even so, though, I think that it
>is important to provide a way to build the libraries and ld.so if
>necessary, though probably not in the world target.

   Yes, a.out execution support will be standard in FreeBSD for at least
several more years. At some point it may become an option, but that's a
long way off.
   The only thing people are talking about is support for building the
system binaries in a.out. We're moving to ELF because at some point our
"make world" source build system, not to mention the compiler toolchain,
will no longer support building a.out binaries.

-DG

David Greenman