Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:27:14 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swapping wireless NICs

> From: "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:20:27 -0400
>
> On 21 Sep 2005 at 9:56, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > > From: "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
> > > Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:35:40 -0400
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org

> > > This brings up something I have been thinking about.  Someone
> > > mentioned that the ipw problems I've been having on my T41 could be
> > > resolved by changing ton an Atheros based NIC.
> > >
> > > Question: have you replaced your wireless NIC?  On my T41 it is
> > > internal. I'm told it's a matter of replacing it.  I understand, but
> > > haven't looked into buying an Atheros NIC and putting it in my
> > > Thinkpad, but seeing as I'm going to be in the US next week, I might
> > > just pick one up while I'm there.
> > >
> > > Comments please.
> >
> > The physical swap is pretty easy. Just open the access door in the bottom
> > of the unit, unplug the antenna wires and pop out the mini-PCI
> > card. Then reverse to add the new card.
> >
> > In the past, ThinkPads have BIOS set to refuse to allow the system to
> > boot if any mini-PCI card not of a type sold by IBM was seen. I don't
> > know if the T43 still does this, but you can deal with this in a couple
> > of ways:
> > 1. Get the Cisco card that Lenovo sells
> > 2. Hack BIOS to not get upset about it. I've seen articles on this and I
> >    suspect that you can Google for it. (I don't take any responsibility
> >    for dead systems if you muck with the BIOS, though. Take care!)
>
> This looks like it's an IBM branded card at US$50:
>
> http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?products_id=219
>
> And this one definintely is IBM at $90 including shipping:
>
> http://www-
> 131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-
> 840&storeId=10000001&langId=-
> 1&dualCurrId=1000073&categoryId=2581910&productId=8657707
>
> OR http://tinyurl.com/dq42l
>
> I may just buy IBM.

That's probably safe. Note that the a/b/g card is a Cisco (Atheros). I
am not sure about the b/g card, but I believe that it is an Intel
PRO/Wireless 2100 which uses the ipw driver. It has had a lot of
problems with various versions of FreeBSD, although they are being
actively worked on.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)