Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2011 01:40:18 +0200
From:      Bartosz Fabianowski <freebsd@chillt.de>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>, John <john@theusgroup.com>
Subject:   Re: System extremely slow under light load

> The specified maximum CPU temperature is usually the same at the ACPI
> _CRT, not _PSV.  That is the temperature when an ACPI shutdown should be
> triggered, but TCC should kick in at some point below this.

This laptop is a replacement for an earlier one that had similar
overheating issues. On that earlier laptop, Dell had managed to set
_CRT=85°C with _PSV=95°C. This meant that the laptop did an emergency
shutdown at 85°C *before* TCC got a chance to kick in at 95°C. At least
on this one, _CRT=100°C and _PSV=95°C represent a more reasonable
combination.

> It works to tell you that TCC is doing the job, but does not explain in
> any way why your CPU is so hot. I'll be very curious as to what you find
> when running another OS.

I experimented with a Debian Live CD. The results are here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-April/062407.html

- Bartosz