Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:16:35 -0500
From:      testing@tourneyland.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie: Sendmail doesn't work (how vague is that)

Hi all,

I just installed FreeBSD, on a machine I want to be a web & mail server. A
friend actually did most of the install, which included sendmail. So far,
that machine doesn't seem to be receiveng email. I've tried sending to
root@167.44.32.82 (well that's not my real ip but you get the idea), and
nothing happened. That seems to me to be about as basic as it gets. I can
send out from that machine (both locally and to the outside world, i.e.
hotmail), but not receive. Why would that be?

I think there's a clue, in that I just checked root's email, and it got
something that says "Mail received for refused hosts: (my ip address)" or
something like that. In other words, it looks like it's not configured to
accept email sent to itself. This seems weird, but I read in a book on Unix
S-A I bought that there's a file called sendmail.cw I think, that's the
list of supported hosts. That file doesn't exist. Is that my problem?

I apologize if this is a mind-numbingly simple question - I'm a programmer,
but I know NOTHING about Unix, not even Linux (well I had it installed for
a few hours but that's it). I've been reading the BSD Handbook and my Unix
book but I couldn't find anything quite this simple. There's a lot of
encouragement to get the O'Reilly sendmail book, but I'm a bit spent out
for this month.

Thanks,
Chris
Reach me by ICQ. My ICQ# is 19449154 or,
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center:
http://wwp.icq.com/19449154 (go there and try it!) or,
* Send me E-mail Express directly to my computer screen 19449154@pager.icq.com
* You may visit my Personal ICQ Homepage: http://members.icq.com/19449154
Download ICQ at http://www.icq.com/download/
For adding similar signatures to your e-mail go to:
http://www.icq.com/email/emailsig.html