Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 08:45:43 -0500
From:      Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
To:        "chip wiegand" <chip@wiegand.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audiophiles - mp3 question

At 11:37 AM -0800 11/28/02, chip wiegand wrote:
>I know how to rip cd tracks to mp3 format, but what do I do to go the
>other way - .mp3 to cd format so they can be played in my car stereo
>which doesn't play .mp3's? Is this possible?

You can also use XMMS to do this. As per the handbook at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-mp3.html:

16.3.4 Decoding MP3s

In order to burn an audio CD from MP3s, they must be converted to a
non-compressed WAV format. Both XMMS and mpg123 support the output of MP3 to an
uncompressed file format.

Writing to Disk in XMMS:

1.

Launch XMMS.

2.

Right-click on the window to bring up the XMMS menu.

3.

Select Preference under Options.

4.

Change the Output Plugin to ``Disk Writer Plugin''.

5.

Press Configure.

6.

Enter (or choose browse) a directory to write the uncompressed files to.

7.

Load the MP3 file into XMMS as usual, with volume at 100% and EQ
settings turned
off.

8.

Press Play -- XMMS will appear as if it is playing the MP3, but no
music will be
heard. It is actually playing the MP3 to a file.

9.

Be sure to set the default Output Plugin back to what it was before in order to
listen to MP3s again.