Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 06:53:32 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        dmaddox@conterra.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New PnP code does not work for me(?)

Doug wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> >
> > "Donald J . Maddox" wrote:
> > > Ok, will do.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > This may be a silly question, but...  The old PnP driver recognized
> > > a lot of devices, including my AWE64.  Isn't there a list of IDs it
> > > was aware of that should be merged into newPnP ASAP?
> >
> > The old PnP code was matching on the card vendor ID.  The new pnp code
> > treats each logical device on it's own and matches by logical ID.
>
> 	The new architecture sounds like a good thing, but isn't there a way to
> fall back to the old method if the logical device ID isn't found?
> Perhaps with an error message asking the user to report the logical ID
> to proper-mailing-list@freebsd.org? Of course I'm probably dreaming
> here, but it seems to me that some kind of compromise should be
> possible, since I tend to agree with Donald that "Working before + not
> working now = broken," no matter how much "better" the broken version is
> from the purity standpoint.

Well, if people would tell us what the ID's were rather than bypassing
the system then we'd be a lot better off by now. :-)

Seriously though, matching by card vendor ID isn't impossible but would be
rather messy in the current system as the probe is called for each logical
device.  An average sound card has three to five "devices" on it.  Usually
the first one (ldn 0) is the sound device, but sometimes ldn 0 is the card
controller, and sometimes other things like the ide port or joystick ports
occupy the first slots, pushing the sound part to ldn #3 or 4 or so.  The
current probes don't have any idea if "this" logical device is the first or
the third on a "card".

Cheers,
-Peter