Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:05:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Bob Van Valzah <Bob@whitebarn.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Formatting Help

[snip]

>>    * What about the tex-3.14159 vs teTeX-0.9.981113 packages?
>
>You only need TeX if you want to produce Postscript or PDF output,
>otherwise it's not necessary.
>
>You should only have one of these installed.  teTeX-beta is currently
>recommended, as it installs all the optional TeX packages (like hyperref)
>that are required by the Jade TeX macros.  tex-3.14159 will probably
>work, but will need some configuring by hand.  I'm not a hardcore TeX
>user, and can't advise on how you'd get tex-3.14159 to work for you.

This is an interesting question. tex-3.14159 (along with it's friends)
is the traditional TeX. I've been thinking about pulling teTeX out and
replacing with this because the footprint is 75% smaller than teTeX.
It would require pulling in some 25 separate pieces, though, to make
it work for the Doc Proj. It would definately be the harder way of
going. If there is any interest out there in making this approach
work, I could pursue it further.

[snip]

>>    * What does LaTeX have to do with any of this?
>
>It doesn't.  As I understand it;

It does. JadeTeX is built on the base LaTeX format, along with a half
dozen LaTeX add ons. You will need LaTeX2e and friends installed to
build the JadeTeX format files. LaTeX and dvips are installed
automatically with teTeX.

-- Jay