Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:52:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade woes

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Paul Herman wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, George Sollish wrote:
>
> > I've been running 3.2R on a compaq i586-84 for a year and felt it was time
> > to move on to 4.0R, so I followed the instructions for a binary upgrade
> > which worked reasonably well EXCEPT:
> >
> > (1)	'startx' (for root or user) fails with a series of messages:
> > 	Xwrapper: no modules loader for 'xserver' service
> > 	Authentication failed -- cannot start X server
>
> Perhaps with your upgrade you didn't update /etc/pam.conf?  You might
> want to check if you have this in /etc/pam.conf:
>
> xserver auth    required        pam_permit.so
>
> If that doesn't do the trick, in /etc/fbtab try uncommenting the line:
>
> /dev/ttyv0      0600    /dev/console
>
> > (2)	This is a dual boot box (Win95) using the FreeBSD bootloader. The
> > bootloader works fine on a cold boot, but locks solid on a warm boot.
> > Initiating a boot from the install floppy displays the same behavior: fine
> > on a cold boot, 'disc read error, no /kernel present' on a warm boot.
>
> Sounds like a problem with either BIOS/hardware.  I'd be really
> grasping at straws if I were to guess that your drives needed to reset
> from some reason or something...  ?
>
> -Paul.

Paul,

Thanks.  The xserver line was missing from /etc/pam.conf.  I'll file that
away against my next upgrade, however, as I rebuilt the box before I
caught your post.

Regarding the hardware, it worked fine on 3.2 before the upgrade attempt,
and it still locks on warm boots after the 4.0 install. Odd.

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer  	 Auto Gear Equipment
			Host	 		 Classic-FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		 The Payne Lake Project