Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:39:14 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Jay" <jayyness@mindspring.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Changing IP and ports served on

From: "Jay" <jayyness@mindspring.com>
Subject: Changing IP and ports served on

> 1.  I need to re-assign the static IP that is on the box
> to an IP within my internal network at home.  I know
> it is just as simple as changing the 12.x.x.x number
> to a 192.x.x.x number in a file, I just don't know which
> file.

/etc/rc.conf, most likely.

> 2.  There weren't any blocked ports at work.  So
> I could use the standard ports for ftp and http.   But
> at home I have CoxCable and they block 21 and 80
> and maybe some others that I am ot sure of.  How
> do I change what ports ftp and http are served off of
> on my server.  When I originally set up the box I
> actually have 2 ftp ports (16 and 21) I just can't
> remember where I changed that.  And do I change the
> http in the same place?

If you're using apache, you tell it which ports to listen
on in httpd.conf, which is located in various places
depending on how the program was installed.  Check
/usr/local/www/conf/, and /usr/local/etc/apache/ for
starters.

If you just have ftp for yourself, I'd suggest looking
into sftp over the SSH port (22).  If the server is
meant to be publicly available, I'm not much help.
The only ftpd I've ever used is FBSD's base system
one, and I ran it vanilla straight out of /etc/inetd.conf.....

Incidentally, my servers are on Cox Cable, but
those ports aren't blocked.  I am going to assume
that's because of their tiered packaging---these
boxes are on "business" links....but it's interesting
to learn that about this ISP.

> I tried searching for "Changing ports" in google but it
> kicked back massive amounts of links on installing
> and changing programs (ports) in FreeBSD.
>
> Jay

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.