Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:35:58 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: submit an almost finished port for testing?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:05:20AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:

>Default option will be no kde. If people want it they can say
>'make WITH_KDE=YES'. Is that the idea?
>
>(Stupid question: i suppose that if i type WITH_KDE=NO then
>.if defined(WITH_KDE) will still evaluate true, isn't it?)

Yup.

1. The result when someone does make WITH_KDE=no is somewhat
   surprising.

2. Most knobs in Makefiles use lower-case values.

3. OpenBSD, as a policy, uses ${WITH_FOO:L} to test the lowercased
   text of the value. This way the user doesn't have to remember which
   way to spell: yes or YES or NO or no or YeS or nO.

Taking all this together, I *would* suggest using:

.if defined(WITH_KDE) && ${WITH_KDE:L} == "yes"

except that make chokes on that if WITH_KDE is not defined.

So, if you really want to be anal about it, and there's nothing *wrong*
with that, you could say:

.if !defined(WITH_KDE)
WITH_KDE=no
.endif
.if ${WITH_KDE:L} = yes
USE_KDE_VERSION=2
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-kde
.endif

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm