Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2004 14:52:49 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting xwindows apps from console?

--X1xGqyAVbSpAWs5A

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:15:04AM -0500, Dragoncrest wrote:
> I know I saw something about how to do this at one time, but I can't
> seem to find any information about it anymore.  What I'm looking to do
> is start several KDE gui based apps from a remote ssh session.  I can do
> it from the actual machine via the console because it knows how to find
> the running Xserver and selected desktop. But if I'm remotedly shelled
> in via SSH, it has no idea where Xwindows is or if there's an active
> desktop or KDE session going.  I do remember one time seeing an example
> of how to do this that was something like "/path/to/app/appname :0 d1"
> or something along those lines.  This would then allow me to start a gui
> app in KDE (provided it was running) via my remote shell.

ssh has the ability to set up an encrypted tunnel fron the remote
client machines you log into to the X Server on your local system.
Try:

    % ssh -X otherhost.example.com

then look at your environment in your remote session and see if the
DISPLAY variable has been set:

    % echo $DISPLAY
    localhost:10.0

Be sure your shell initialization files on the remote client machine
aren't overriding that setting.  It might use the remote hostname,
rather than localhost, but the display number will be 10 or above.  If
$DISPLAY is set automatically like that, then you can just start up X
programs from the command line and have them display on your local
desktop.

To make that encrypted tunnel setup happen automatically every time
you log into that box, create a file ~/.ssh/config and place in it:

    Host otherhost.example.com
        ForwardX11 yes

The ssh_config(5) and sshd_config(5) man pages, as ever, have more
information.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20